Electric lawn mowers seem to have everyone interested, yet not every one is convinced they are a great choice. We have decided to put together a list of the electric lawn mowers pros and cons to help you in determining if an electric mower is for you.
Keep in mind, some of the cons on this list are only cons for some individuals, and not for everyone. Weigh the pros and cons before you jump in and buy an electric mower. It is important that you make a purchase like this, only after you have done your research and determined it is the best choice for you and your lawn.
Pros- Environmentally friendly
- Mulching/bagging options
- Effortless start
- On average can mow up to an acre of land
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to maneuver
- Performance is similar to gas powered
- No paying for gas and or oil for the mower
- No need for expensive maintenance
- Variation in voltage to meet more needs
- Deck sizes vary just like gas mowers
Cons- cord limitations on corded mowers
- battery life varies with grass type/condition
- might need back-up battery for larger lawns
- can only mow about an acre without recharging
- obstacles can limit mowing area due to cord
- less horsepower than gas mower
As you can see, electric mowers have a lot more pros than they do cons. The only real con that we could find that would cause an individual to avoid buying an electric mower is if they had a larger area than an acre to mow.
For people with more than about an acre and a half, an electric mower seems to be more of an inconvenience to use than they are worth. Especially if you will be buying additional back up batteries in order to mow a larger yard in one day. This will add up quickly in a very short amount of time. For one to two extra batteries you can expect to spend anywhere from $150-400 and up.
Of those that are owners of an electric lawn mower, they would all agree, ownership has helped them to make a difference without going without.
Performance is always a concern for those still looking into buying an electric mower, but once they do their research, understand the electric lawn mowers pros and cons, and even talk to people that do have an electric mower, they soon realize this is a purchase that they will not regret.